Share your Ideas on Water Conservation

This forum is designed to encourage visitors to share their thoughts on actions Long Islanders should take to embrace water conservation. Content not related to that purpose will be removed.

Home Forums Water Conservation Forum Winter Water Conservation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robert

It’s been so cold down on Long Island with all the snow! Reminds me of how much easier it is to save water during the summer (and lower my bill). Is there anything I can do to lower my winter water bill? Thanks.

#3526 Reply
    OliviaVolz
    Keymaster

That’s a great question. We recommend taking four steps to save water during the winter, which will also save you money!

1. Install WaterSense products. WaterSense products meet requirements that help save a lot of water. Some products include showerheads, faucets, toilets, and smart irrigation controllers. Check them out through your lawn service company or online at Home Depot, Walmart, and Amazon!

2. Start planning your water efficient garden and landscape early! Research and plan your trees, shrubs, flowers, and lawn to save water, rather than to waste water.

3. Curb indoor water waste habits and opt to practice water-friendly habits. Some examples include turning off the water while brushing your teeth and defrosting food in the fridge overnight. Check and follow our social media for more tips!

4. Check for leaks using a smart water sensor device! These devices connect wirelessly to an app on your phone and show your household water use. Buy these at Home Depot, Walmart, and Amazon!

#3579 Reply
    Teresa

I already started planning our outdoor garden. I plan on buying a rain barrel from Home Depot in the next few weeks so I can use the extra rainwater for indoor and outdoor plants. Below are some of the rain barrels I am looking at – they have simple rain barrels and decorated if you into aesthetics. Definitely buy one or make your own!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EarthMinded-RainStation-45-Gal-Recycled-Black-Rain-Barrel-with-Diverter-RS45-RC/203260850
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/FreeGarden-RAIN-55-Gal-Rain-Barrel-Green-with-Brass-Spigot-EWC-15/302880776

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Reply #3579 in Winter Water Conservation
Your information: