Share your Ideas on Water Conservation

This forum is designed to encourage visitors to share their thoughts on actions Long Islanders should take to embrace water conservation. Content not related to that purpose will be removed.

Home Forums Water Conservation Forum Ways to save water usage while cleaning dishes or clothes?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alex

Hello I was looking for some recommendations of how an individual could save water usage while doing laundry and cleaning kitchen items, such as dishes, utensils, etc. I would like to find out how I can truly become efficient on my water consumption as it truly does matter. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

#1440 Reply
    LauraOsa
    Keymaster

This is a great question! To conserve water, our first recommendation would be switching to water efficient appliances. New High Efficiency (HE) front-load washing machines reduce the largest amount of water. Various washing machine models created by Samsung and LG are both reputable and highly water efficient. You can also adjust your cleaning habits to substantially reduce your water usage. Including more laundry in your wash and running less cycles will increase your water efficiency. Other practices include changing the settings on your washing machine to reduce water usage by using size cycles, skipping extra rinses, and avoiding warm and hot water.

For cleaning dishes, contemporary water efficient dishwashers are often more efficient than hand washing. Some water efficient dishwashers include the Thermador Topaz Series, averaging at 2.2 gallons per cycle, the Bosch 800 DLX Series, averaging at 2.9 gallons per cycle, and the Miele Futura Dimension Series, averaging at 1.72 gallons per cycle. There are other simple habits that can also conserve water. By soaking dishes, you can remove some of the food stains in advance of washing, saving time and extra water. You can also allocate water in a pan or use the sprayer on your sink to reduce the amount of water you are using. Additionally, clean off food scraps with utensils before putting the dishes in the sink to conserve more water!

What other ways can you think of?

#1954 Reply
    Mandy Love

Here are our tips for 5 ways to conserve water every day. I’d love to know your thoughts.

#1955 Reply
    Mandy Love

Here are our tips for 5 ways to conserve water every day. I’d love to know your thoughts.

https://swe-inc.com/5-ways-to-conserve-water-everyday/

#2314 Reply
    Purbaha

we have mentioned some great and easy ways to save water check our blog on
    https://purbaha.weebly.com/purbahablog/10-tips-to-save-water

#3681 Reply
    Alex Thompson

Hi Alex, based on what I read from an article regarding water bills in Phoenix, Arizona, you may want to consider getting a water softener system installed if your water supply is rich in minerals (specifically calcium and magnesium) or more commonly known as hard water. This is because hard water causes limescale build-up in your plumbing system and soaps also don’t lather as well as they should be if you have hard water which results to your appliances having a hard time and end up consuming more water. I hope this helps, here’s where you can learn more about some other ways on how to lower water consumption cost, I suggest you check it out.

#6305 Reply
    Effiworkx

Hello,

I see that some good advice has already been shared so I will add only one more overlooked way to save water.

Make sure that your WATER HARDNESS level it is not high.

If you have hard water at home, the washing machine will need to work harder and use more water to wash the clothes.

If you have hard water at home, you will need more water to wash the dishes because the soap efficiency will be reduced.

And the same will apply when having a shower, bath or even washing your hands.

I hope this advice helps. For more information have a look to https://www.effiworkx.com/blog/limestone-and-water-hardness/

Regards,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Reply #3681 in Ways to save water usage while cleaning dishes or clothes?
Your information: