Share your Ideas on Water Conservation

This forum is designed to encourage visitors to share their thoughts on actions Long Islanders should take to embrace water conservation. Content not related to that purpose will be removed.

Home Forums Water Conservation Forum Water Conservation While Owning an Aquarium

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Kris Tuftedal

As an avid aquarist, one of my biggest concerns is the amount of water I have to use for water changes. I have a fairly large aquarium (55 gallon display tank with a 30 gallon sump) and a typical water change uses about 20-30 gallons approximately every 6 to 8 weeks.

I’ve tried striking a balance between doing less frequent water changes to help conserve water, but I’m not sure if there might be any other ideas out there for ways to reuse aquarium water removed during water changes. This would be easier if my tank was a freshwater tank, as the water could be used for watering plants, but my aquarium is a saltwater tank, so I’ve struggled with ideas of how I might be able to use the water change waste water rather than just discarding it straight away. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: Water Conservation While Owning an Aquarium
Your information: