Share your Ideas on Water Conservation

This forum is designed to encourage visitors to share their thoughts on actions Long Islanders should take to embrace water conservation. Content not related to that purpose will be removed.

Home Forums Water Conservation Forum Native Planting on Long Island – Bee Balm?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    LauraOsa
    Keymaster

Now that it’s April, shift your focus outdoors and start planting! Save water by choosing native plants to Long Island, such as blue false indigo, purple coneflower, or butterfly milkweed. Plant them in your favorite mulch to retain moisture and install a rain barrel to capture and use extra rainwater for your plants! If you’d rather use sprinklers, we recommend using a smart controller and/or a rain sensor to save even more water.  

We have also heard that bee balm, shown below, is a native Long Island plant. They look pretty crazy! Has anyone ever seen it? 

Credits: Canva Pro (Tracey Vivar from Getty Images)

#3876 Reply
    OliviaVolz
    Keymaster

Bee Balm is definitely a funky looking plant! One of my favorite was to save water in my garden each year is by planting native plants! Bee Balm is just one of the many cool flowers native to Long Island. Some of my other favorites are Purple coneflowers and Black-eyed Susan’s. I’d say looking into plants native to Long Island is definitely something worth doing before you plant your garden this year!

#3987 Reply
    Elizabeth V.

Never heard of bee balm before, but I have heard of purple coneflower. I usually plant buttonbush and some of the colorful milkweeds for butterflies in the summer. I’ll have to try bee balm this year!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Reply #3876 in Native Planting on Long Island – Bee Balm?
Your information: