Share your Ideas on Water Conservation

This forum is designed to encourage visitors to share their thoughts on actions Long Islanders should take to embrace water conservation. Content not related to that purpose will be removed.

Home Forums Water Conservation Forum DIY Leak Detecting Trick 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Taylor Larson

I’ve never heard this until now but I was researching how to fix leaks in the bathroom and came upon a great tip: if you put food coloring in a toilet tank and see it seep into the bowl without flushing, you know there’s a leak there. I haven’t tried it yet but knowing how much leaks cost both my family and our environment, I’m definitely going to give it a go. Has anyone tried this?

#1217 Reply
    Kris Tuftedal

That’s actually a really smart idea to test for toilet leaks that I’d never even thought of. Going to have to try it out.

Another way to test for bathroom leaks, specifically for faucets, is to get some color-changing leak test paper. From what I’ve seen, it’s pretty inexpensive and can tell you if you have a slow faucet leak that isn’t dripping fast enough to be easily noticeable. This way you can fix it before it becomes a worse leak.

#6284 Reply
    Effiworkx

Hello,

I have never tried but I have heard that it is a good method to find out if your toilet it is leaking water.

Personally I use another system to find out if there is any water leak at home.

When everyone is at bed and nobody is using water at home, I take note of the count from the water meter. Then, I come back after one or two ours and take note of the count again.

If the count hasn’t changed, all good. If the count has changed that means that there is a water leak somewhere and I need to check the usual suspects.

Instead of buying the coloring to find out if you have a water leak in the toilet, first check the water meter to know if you have any leak at home. You may safe yourself some money…

For more info, have a look to https://www.effiworkx.com/water/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Reply #6284 in DIY Leak Detecting Trick 
Your information: